Friday 2 June 2017

Season 1: Episode 2; The First Real Pisser...

(I dreamt, or rather wished that…)someday that so much didn’t seem to come would eventually come when I could dance like a pro and change the faces of contempt looking at me to those of admiration. It was a tough journey. And the events and happenings that followed proved it.

It shouldn’t surprise you if I confirm to you that when I joined Salsa as a complete beginner, we were a group of committed focused gentlemen determined to make it in dancing but after a span of about two weeks, there were only two of us. Most had absorbed a fair share of the surprises served to them, and they had done the necessary.

For the two of us that remained, no one seemed to notice our continued persistence and resilience so they could at least loosen the rope.

In fact, they rose it a notch higher.

The reason was that formerly as a larger group of beginners, we would share the blows. We would share stories and console one another hence it was more bearable. In fact, I would listen to stories bearing a fate worse than mine. They didn’t console me that much because they were all a direct reflection of my situation.

Anyway, I made a resolution to push on, no matter what because giving up was not an option. I had passed through so much to just give up at this point.

 Maybe the end of the tunnel was a few steps away. Or so, I thought.

 It happened that this one day I went to the Salsa venue. It was a day like any other. Little did I know that there was a bouquet of revelations awaiting the innocent me.

Upon arrival, we did the basics. Okay, in Salsa dancing, it is customary and necessary that before you get to the main business of the day, you practice the basic steps that eventually form the Salsa dancing as a whole. Sometimes as it happens, most people are yet to arrive, especially the “proud gurus”.

So after the basics, the choreographer went ahead to train us the routines which of course the two of us didn’t get.

Then the most dreaded part arrived, open dance. Where people choose who to dance with and who not to.

It was at this point that a certain lady arrived. It didn’t occur to me that we would ever cross roads, she was a pro and so she was definitely out of my league. Immediately she set foot on the dance floor, every gentleman in the room was dying to have the first dance with her.

I was curious to see what she had.

Oh, I didn’t say this, she was pretty and curvy. The kind anyone would wish to be associated with. She had these eyes that seemed to talk to you before she opened her mouth. I saw it when she spoke to her friends.

The first guy to win a dance with her knew the right places to cue her. Because they danced like it was the last thing they had to do on earth.

Believe you me, words can’t explain enough.

It was amazing. Her body was so flexible and she had full control of it. I liked what I was seeing. And I thanked God for giving me eyes that could see so well.

My point is: I really admired every aspect about her. So much to an extent, I wished I could dance with her. Time would tell, though.

I waited patiently till the time she was alone. I guessed she was resting, or rather taking a break.
I approached her with confidence on the cutting edge of a knife, expecting anything. I “hi-ed” her and she “hi-ed” back. And then I went ahead to risk everything, by asking her for a dance.

Like I said before, her eyes spoke even she opened her cute lips. She proudly inquired whether I was a beginner and without hesitation, I gave the only answer I could prove, yes. After that, I wished she hadn’t opened her mouth. Because the words she spoke were a complete ridicule of her nice lips.

"Hey young man, I don’t know where you got the guts to approach me but in the real sense I don’t dance with ‘newbies’, especially not your type. And don’t take this personal: Sitaki kujiabisha nkidance na mtu ka wewe! (I don’t want to shame myself by dancing with a person like you)"
Were it not for the fact that I was leaning on the side wall, I would have dropped down and iced on the spot.

Who in hell and on this earth turns down a humble dance request from a naïve beginner with such intuitive and awfully discouraging utterances? Oh, and did beginners have types? And I shouldn't take this personal? Oh, my… I was heartbroken. Oh no, I was disappointed.

Note that there is no formal way to ask for a dance. And there is no decent way I know to date other than the one I used then. And God knows, I would have tried my best not to shame her.

It wasn’t like I didn’t expect her to reject my dance request. But am sure as shooting there was a better way she could have done it. She could have done way better. Okay, I know am not the most appealing gent on earth, but am not the most disgusting either.


According to me, there were three options she could have chosen from:

•    The first which was way better is that she could have used kind words to pass the same message that she didn’t approve my dance request, while at the same time sparing my morale and esteem.

•    She could have as well given me a tip on the way to do it (I mean, requesting the dance), that is; if she thought I didn’t do it the right. She not only would have helped me but also made a long-lasting friend.

•    Lastly, she would have referred me to a willing friend because it goes without saying she knew one who could help me out.

The fact is, she may have seemed perfect from a far perspective, but on getting a close view of her, I was pissed. And nothing else she could have done after that would change it. Just like my primary school teacher always insisted, I shouldn’t have judged the book by its cover.

I was starting to get hold of the connotative meaning of the saying.

Like any other human being, I recoiled and walked away, thinking. I knew I had promised myself not to give up but the type of blows I was getting were wearing me out.
And they weren’t the type that I had prepared myself for.

I was curious, though. And it is curiosity that kept me going for the times that followed. Because one thing was true for a fact: I had created a vicious enemy who was willing to pierce on my bleeding wounds, no matter what.

I wanted to see what else she got. And she sure had a lot to serve, fresh and sizzling hot surprises were coming.

She took it to a whole new level when…(to be continued.)

Enjoyed the episode? Subscribe and leave a comment below.
Follow me on Google+ by clicking the follow button on my profile.
Feel free to share.
Like my page on Facebook, Kizombachata Empire, for more updates on the upcoming episodes.
Your feedback is highly appreciated.
See you in the next episode.

2 comments:

  1. nice one. cant wait for the next episode..ulalaah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks jane, the next episode is cooking and almost ready...

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think by leaving a comment.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Featured posts

5 Simple Steps To Help You Successfully Learn New Salsa Moves

Many times, I have observed some of my dance partners and friends watch dance clips and exclaim, “That move was complex! Some people are ju...